 Organizations / 96
Re: Sub-Domain LUGS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 05:26:45 GMT

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:41:27 GMT, "Aaron Bergman"
<Legomaster24@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
There are some new LUG's, for example KIDLUG, who's owners have been a
little "nervous" about paying domain fees. Which service will I get, can I
afford it, and will I have it forever cross their minds. Possibly created by a
major LUG, for example LUGNET, register and build lug.org, giving off free sub-
domains to unwilling owners. Please think about this, and get back to me with
feedback and opinions.

What you're suggesting isn't necessarily "free".  I know on several
major hosting companies what you're describing would actually be
considered reselling space to someone else because more than the
single account holder would be accessing and updating the site.

I know if I had the domain foo.com hosted by Pair networks, it would
cost me $1 per month on top of the regular hosting fee to have that
virtual domain hosted there.  If I were to run a site bar.foo.com I
wouldn't have to pay any InterNic (or other) registration fees, but it
would cost me another $1 per month to have them map that.

And they wouldn't do it for just a buck if they knew I were giving
access to that portion of the account to one or more people besides
myself.

Maybe some other hosting companies have different policies, but I
kinda doubt it.  Now if you could find someone who provided their own
hosting services, their own pipe, whatever, sure, having blah.lug.org
might sorda be "free" for them, but there aren't too many people
providing their _own_ DNS, etc, who could do that for you.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/