 Organizations / 930
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:07:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Lee Meyer wrote:
5.  I already saw in some of these posts people calling others "homophobic"
because they don't think such a group is a good idea.  I find it amazing that no
two people even have the same definition of what constitutes 'homophobic'
behavior.  In reality, 'homophobia' has a real definition, and that is 'an
irrational fear of homosexuals/homosexuality.'  In today's polically correct
society, homosexualists have tried to take over the term and define it to be
'anything that is not accepting of whatever homosexuals want to do.'
Many people offered their explanations as to why they felt it would not be a
good idea, and none of the posts appeared to be homophobic in content (they were
not putting forth irrational, or explicitly hateful views, and no 'slang'
derogatory terms were thrown about).  It all goes back to the fact that ANY
opposing views, rational or irrational, reasoned or not, are ALL cast as
homophobic, in the hopes that the label will stick and the person will shut up
and get with the program.

Would then an individual who wants a gay-only lugnet discussion forum, because
they feel uncomfortable talking about lego with non gay individuals, be called
"heterophobic?"

It's just a question, and shouldn't be taken as a statement being directed
towards anyone, but being uncomfortable or afraid to talk about LEGO with
non-gays on a LEGO-centric website seems rather irrational to me.

Just sayin...

--Anthony