 Organizations / 16
15  |  17
Subject:
Inexpensive Hand-out Cards (Business-Card Size)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:00:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
[...] The third
was a simple buisness card (Thanks to Todd).  This card had the NELUG logo
on one side with our URL and the LUGNET logo on the other side with that
URL.  The cards were a little late in arriving at our table but once they
got there they were very popular.

Here's a page with some test photos I showed to Eric before printing up large
batches of cards -- I wanted to get his permission/blessing first:

   http://www.lugnet.com/temp/cards/

I ended up printing the cards double-sided because I thought I'd run out of
card-paper before running out of ink -- and I did -- but when I went back to
the store for a second box of card-paper, I thought surely this time I'd run
out of ink first.  Again, I actually ran out of paper before running out of
ink.  That was pretty surprising.

I managed to print a total of ~440 cards plus two 8 1/2" x 22" NELUG posters
on one half-used color ink cartridge (and it's still not empty).  The only
thing I didn't like was that the ink is water-soluble (not waterproof!),
meaning that the ink tends to rub off onto your fingers while separating
dozens of these at a time.  I had to discard a few of the cards due to
fingerprints.  Other than that, they certainly seemed to serve their purpose.

[...]
4.  It would also be nice if we were able to get a nice big banner with the
NELUG Logo on it to hang from the table.  We did have a paper one thanks to
Todd that was about 8 1/2' x 22'.

Yikes!  Eight and a half feet by twenty-two feet?!  I wish!  :)  No, it was
8 1/2" x 22" (inches) -- two pre-perf, end-connected letter-size pages from
a box of Avery Dennison White Banner Paper #3272.

This was great but I think even bigger
(alot bigger) and on canvas would have been nice.  I may look into having a
nice one made up for us in the future.

From 1990 to 1996, I worked for the company <http://www.colorspan.com/> which
started the large-format color digital printing revolution.  It was a total
blast working there on products like that.  Today, it's still pretty expensive
to print large banners with waterproof ink on sturdy media (or laminated),
but I -think- it's possible to get something 8' x 3' printed up for $100 to
$200, depending on the print shop, but I'm really not sure.  Our QA (testing)
department printed rolls and rolls of posters every day, some several meters
long, because the printers kept getting faster and faster.  Most small copy
shops or print service bureaus own some sort of large-format color digital
printer these days -- it's an extremely competitive market and prices have
fallen sharply since 1993.

--Todd