 Off-Topic / Testing / 92
91  |  93
Subject:
cookies and setups (was Re: Web interface test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:56:35 GMT

I think things either are not quite right, or are still confusing.

I got a note offline from someone who was a bit frustrated. They had
failed to successfully post and did not realise that Todd was the person
to email. (it doesn't explicitly give a contact name/email on any of the
error boxes I have seen so far)

So I tried some tests. Despite the fact that I have been posting from
the news interface for some time using this machine, when I go to post
via web, it says I haven't registered. So I dug up my last confirmation,
went through the web dialog again, filled out exxactly as before.
Submitted. Then went back to web interface. The "identify yourself" box
is not filled in from the cookie that I have saved long ago, or the more
recent one. Is this a browser problem or my problem?

I think in general this hurdle, while well intentioned, is too steep. I
always have a struggle with it getting to post again when I change
machines. I think some cycles may be warranted in making it easier and
less error prone, although I have not dug into how it works exactly to
the point of being able to offer any concrete suggestions.

If we move LCAD without making this easier, but still maintaining the
checks, which are a GOOD THING, we may be setting up to lose people we
do NOT want to lose.

This is NT 4.0,  NS Communicator 4.5

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Duh, I never got a cookie. I think the setup should check for a cookie
even if you go in via the web interface.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Why is my setup screen blank? It's as if it lost the cookie...

OK, now the "Identify yourself" at the top of the web posting page is blank
again!