 Off-Topic / Testing / 736
Re: Just testing character codes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:40:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.test, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.test, Søren Bak writes:
&aelig;<br>
&oslash;<br>
&reg;

but you'll notice using the numeric entity codes will change it when it
gets displayed in html, not the named entity stuff! I.E:
& # 1 6 3 ;
when written without the spaces turns into:
£
which is the symbol! (if you're reading this in the HTML... dunno what it
looks like in a newsreader) but &pound; won't do it... Unless of course
Todd's changed this since I did it last! :)

Nope, there aren't any HTML entities (numeric or non-numeric) that are
handled.  By design, if you type '&', it's *always* converted to '&amp;'
by the web display interface, meaning that if you type '&aelig;' in your
article, then the HTML generated is '&amp;aelig;' -- which is exactly how
it should be, because netnews articles are supposed to be plaintext, not
HTML.

So, for news articles, just use the plain raw 8-bit ISO-8859-1 encoding:

   Don't write     Do write
   -----------     --------
     &aelig;          æ
     &oslash;         ø
     &reg;            ®

Then it will come out correctly.  For example, if you write 'æ' in your news
article, then it will be sent to newsreaders as 'æ' and to web browsers as
'&aelig;' (so that it may display properly as 'æ').  But if you accidentally
write '&aelig;' in your news article, then it will be sent to your newsreader
as '&aelig;' but to your web browser as '&amp;aelig;' in order that it may
display exactly properly as you wrote it, e.g., '&aelig;'.

Again, this is by design.  It would be a bug not to convert '&' to '&amp;',
just as it would be a bug not to convert '<' to '&lt;', etc...

--Todd