 Off-Topic / Testing / 4776
Re: Test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:32:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
   The actual adult fan purchase is probably higher, but not MUCH higher. As far a # of fans, I think the amount is LESS than 1% of the total consumer base.

I remember doing calculations long ago, using myself as a ‘rough guess’ and coming up with pathetically small numbers. Something like 1-2% of Lego’s sales; and that was based on roughly how many AFOLs were ‘out there’, how much Lego said it was making in DK (or whatever that currency is they mentioned on their annual report), and using myself as an approximate guess for how much your average AFOL spent on Lego. In fact, I recall OVER-estimating as far as money spent and # of AFOL’s, just so I could get a nice upper bound. Was still pretty pathetic. To be honest, I was always suprised to hear 5%, thinking that was way too high.

‘Course, I’m also always suprised how amazingly little AFOL’s actually spend on Lego. In NELUG, I seem to be on the high end for AFOL’s, usually buying sets new, not really waiting for huge sales, etc. Most everyone else waits for discounts and buys ONLY what they need via BrickLink/Ebay. ‘Course being one of the few without a wife to give me a good slap on the wrist for buying Lego, and also being without kids to further strap my budget, again, I think I’m a higher end buyer than your *average* AFOL.

Your average AFOL doesn’t really attend Brick events, only occasionally attends or knows about local LUG groups, and at best lurks around on Lego sites, maybe occasionally throwing in a post. I sort of assume that they’re not spending the gross amounts that many of us more ‘hardcore’ fans are. I’d love to guess that they’re spending a couple thousand per year on Lego (I know I do!) but I’d wager it’s more like $500.

DaveE