 Off-Topic / Testing / 4371
4370  |  4372
Subject:
Hi, I'm new here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:06:07 GMT

Hello,

This is my first posting on lugnet.

I'm 30 years old and well into Lego, especially trains and Technic.  I live in
Derby, England.

I have built 15 British prototype engines and many wagons and coaches to 8mm:1ft
scale (1 stud to the foot), using the standard 9 Volt track.  I used to use the
12 Volt system but converted when I ran out of motors for new engines!

The engines are 7 steam, 7 diesels and a tilting electric Pendolino train (the
latest British passenger express).  I have chassises built for 2 more small
engines.

I currently have a layout measuring 4.8m by 3.6m, which I exhibit at model
railway exhibitions in the UK.  The next one is at the NEC, Birmingham (West
Midlands) on 6th-7th December 2003.  I expect 17500 people will see the models
over the weekend.

In Technic I have built pneumatic robots driven by a car tyre air compressor.
They operate without the user needing to change any valves as it's all done
automatically by the cylinders.  Most of the rest of my Technic building at the
moment is to support the trains as the steam engines have working valve gear
rods (some modified parts there!)

I'm now experimenting with American engines, still in 8mm:1ft scale, which may
make them 10-wide!

All the big engines have 2 motors to avoid burn-out (I had one 12 Volt motor
burn out and another 2 began cutting out intermittently)

I hope for much useful discussion and sharing of tips & tricks!  See you in the
trains newsgroups!

Mark Bellis