 Off-Topic / Testing / 3578
Re: Test of message cancellation. Part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:11:01 GMT

Test of message cancellation.  Part 3

Okay, it seems to have worked and Part 2 has been deleted.

Here is what I did (in case anyone is reading o-t.test):

1.  Posted a message as usual
2.  Using a newsreader, I sent a request to cancel the message to the Lugnet
news server.
3.  I received my email confirmation notice and I replied after selecting the
first option that reads  "I wrote it and I want to post it now".
4.  Checked via HTTP and the message appears to have been cancelled.

So, the results of my test show that it IS possible to cancel my own messages
even with email confirmation in place.  I know I have tried this in the past
and it did not work correctly.  Perhaps in the confirmation reply I selected
have the post deleted.  This would appear to be incorrect.  The correct choice
for the email confirmation reply is the first one indicating that I DO want to
post my (cancellation) message--this will effectively cancel the original,
unwanted message.

The way I understand NNTP message cancellation is that when you send a
cancellation post, it is posted just like a normal message except that it
superceeds the unwanted message and replaces it with the "Cancelled" notation
making the unwanted post un-readable.

I am just glad to see that it is possible to cancel my own messages here at
Lugnet--even with email confirmation in place.

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Kevin Salm writes:
Test of message cancellation.  Part 1

I would like to find out for sure if I can cancel messages myself like
in the old days of Lugnet before email confirmation....

If the next message disappears, then message cancellation DOES work....

Here goes.......