 Off-Topic / Testing / 279
Re: legOS Network Protocol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:00:55 GMT

My first posting.  If this works right, I'll post it in the right place.

Lou Sortman wrote:

I think all of the hardware timers are being used (IR carrier, Serial bit
rate, systime), but there is a system timer (driven by one of the
aforementioned hardware timers) with millisecond granularity (should be
sufficient for network code), and you can implement the functionality of more
timers by periodically comparing respective variables against it, seeing if
systime has become greater.

What would I break if I ran the system timer at 1200 per second instead of 1000
per second?

There is a lot of hardware that can talk at 1200 baud, including Basic Stamps
and all
the things designed to work with Basic Stamps.  Initially, I'm thinking about
servo
driver boards, they just need power and 1200 baud commands to control several
servos.

I've written code to bitbang out RS-232 on PICs.  It seems like it would be easy
to do the
same thing on the H8.  I don't think I can use the built in UART without
breaking the
IR stuff, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

On a motor output, leave the power on continuously and use "forward" for a logic
1 and "reverse" for a logic zero.  With the data clocked out at 1200 baud. Use a
bridge rectifier (4 diodes), some capacitors and a voltage regulator to get
continuous power. A 4.7Kohm resistor and a couple of clamp diodes will produce
logic level data.

Anyway, who else is actively interested in this?

I am, but I'm not likely to have time to do much.  So start without me.
--
Paul Haas paulh@hamjudo.com  http://hamjudo.com