 Off-Topic / Testing / 2714
Re: Problems contacting me ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:47:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Iain Hendry writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

Larry made me aware today that Ameritech, my ISP, has been bouncing some
emails addressed to me.  Until I get a backup email (or possibly a new • ISP)
can anyone else who has tried reaching me recently but been unable to • please
post a response to this message. (Sorry Todd, I hope this chain won't be • long)

-BMW

Folks... You might post to off-topic.test or some such... that will reduce
the noise level in .trains. I set FUT there for this post.

++Lar

Larry, what if people don't read that newsgroup?

Whoops, I was a bit too terse. What I am suggesting was that the followup
posts go to off-topic.test, not the initial.

Also, what is FUT?

FollowUpTo

So to explain a bit better... we seem to have a current defacto system in
which the initial "hey is X there" sort of posts (or in this case "I am X
but I heard that no one can reach me") go to whatever group or groups that
X, or in this case, those that want to reach X, seems to hang out in.

So far so good.

Where the system generates noise is in the followups. Those followups ought
to go somewhere else. The inital posts ought to stay right where they seem
to make the best sense to reach the desired target.

I suspect that a special group for "looking for" people won't work because
not everyone will read it. But a special group (other than off-topic.test)
for the REPLIES to go might be just the thing.

Hope that helps. Sorry for not being clear initially.

++Lar