 Off-Topic / Pun / 1121
  I don't get it

Everyone knows that only my commendable humility exceeds my near-boundless wit, and yet I have stumbled upon a pun-reference that eludes me. I just read Arthur C. Clarke's short story "Patent Pending," copyright 1957, in which Clarke nicely (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.pun, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I don't get it

(...) I'm not sure what the reference is. I did a little googling and came up with this anecdote: Aldous Huxley once found himself discussing genetics with his brother Julian, an eminent zoologist, who happened to use the phrase "aristocracy of (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: I don't get it

(...) Maybe it's related to this? (URL) thing I could find that looks possible...? (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.pun, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I don't get it

(...) I got it. It stuck me all at once. For those who aren't Sci-Fi fans Aldous huxley wrote a book entitled "Brave New World." The theme this of this book is the achievement of Utopia through reproductive technology, eugenics and mind control. As (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: I don't get it

(...) I should have indicated both that Clarke mentions "Brave New World" by name within the text of "Patent Pending," but I didn't understand the brother-joke that you spell out below! (...) That makes perfect sense! Thanks for helping me out. (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)