 Off-Topic / Pun / 1086
1085  |  1087
Subject:
Green thumb person needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 03:29:50 GMT

This is off-topic. I need some advice from a landscaper.

I bought a house a few weeks ago. It has overwhelmed me with work to do
(cleaning moving carpentry paneling painting shopping installing assembling
wiring gardening wrecking mowing ARGH!), and then last night a big tree fell
over in a storm after heavy rains.

It takes at least a week to get someone out to look at it so I have to
decide myself whether it can be saved. Right now I am looking at a beached
whale of a tree.  It is smushed against my neighbor's house.  I don't even
know what kind it is but it has pretty white and pink blossoms (hawthorn or
cherry perhaps.) It was about 20 feet high.

Apparently the previous owner did not prune it too recently: many large and
shapely branches are dead on the west side where it fell, with the bark
falling off the central trunk. It has about 6 more trunks starting just 3
feet off the ground! In the past week it had flowered all over the living
branches, however, and I think it wants to live if it could get up again.
You can see the plastic wrap from the nursery and one big root twisted up
through the lawn.

I have been getting mad books from the library on all sorts of handy topics
including trees but I can't find any advice about triage (sorry!)  So, any
advice or web links are welcome.

-Erik