 Off-Topic / Geek / 855
Re: Transit Time to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:36:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, bagheera wrote:

Chemical Drive Engines:  Expensive and impractical for long duration flights.
Also, I would assume unreliable due to the vacuum-like nature of space.  But
that is speculative.

Huh?  Standard rockets carry all the fuel they need -- no air required.  That's
mostly what we've been using way up there, from the start.

Anti-Matter Drives:  Thanks to some french scientists, we have actually seen
and recorded anti-matter.  The problem is, it takes so much energy to create
it, that it would have been better to use that energy to propel the ship in the
first place.  (plus there's that nasty bit about how anti-matter isn't stable
and doesn't exist for very long unless you apply constant energy to it).

But rockets aren't about efficient production of energy, they are about the
efficient *storage* and *expression* of energy.  If you could pack all the
energy you need for a trip to the stars in a thimble-full of material, it
doesn't really matter that it cost you 100x or 1000x times as much energy to put
it in that state.

The real problem is paying the fuel bill.  I know *my* credit card won't cover
anti-protons...

Ion Drive Engines:  Currently they are impractical for any use other than small
robotic craft.  They are capable of producing near light speed velocities
through several month acceleration cycles.  They are expensive to construct,
but this may be the cargo transport method of the colonizing era.

Rilly?  Do you have quotable info on the costs (or even relative costs) of these
things?

Nuclear Drive Engines:  Messy in atmosphere, but terribly efficient in space.
Radiation is a high concern for the crew of a nuclear powered ship, but
residual radiation probably wouldn't even touch a candle to the radiation that
already resides in space ambiently.  I wouldn't trust a nuke powered craft (if
the engine blows...no one can hear you scream in space)

The gaseous core stuff sounds wicked.  But it is also sounding very
pie-in-the-sky.

Steve