 Off-Topic / Geek / 852
Re: Transit Time to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:41:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Patrick Justison writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Terry King writes:
IsThere some Space-Age (Pardon the ancient
expression) material that will stand up to
a metal-oxidizer fuel mix for a long time??

Yes, a form of carbon called Diamond would do the trick.  But what do you
attach to the diamond is still a problem, as it is an excelent heat conductor
and would melt most materials you attach to it.

I have another ignorant question, relating to a half-remembered tidbit from
my Chem1 class in high school, way back when the periodic table consisted of
Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.
  I seem to remember something about diamond reverting (my term) to simple
black carbon when baked in either a vacuum or simply an anaerobic
environment.  Is this right?  Does it have anything to do with the question at
hand?

Pat Justison (1.5 years until PhD in Materials Science)

  Materials Science?  That's great!  I've always been fascinated by sewing!
       8^)

     Dave!