 Off-Topic / Geek / 850
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:11:04 GMT

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote:
interested me a great deal more than anything I'd read of Hitchhiker's.  I
think "Last Chance" represents more interesting satire than Hitchhiker's, so
if I were to include something of his on this list, it would be "Last Chance."

I haven't seen this one anywhere.  ...still ambivilant about ordering via
amazon.com, so I'm scouring the local used-book stores...

I had the impression that it was non-fiction, though.  Perhaps a coffee-table
picture book or some such.

Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Let's not forget the Dirk Gently books!
  Embarrassingly, I haven't read those yet...

The first one is great.  _Dick Gently's Holistic Detective Agency_ is a real
romp that'll have you re-reading it to see just when that *thing* happens.  (I
almost wonder if M. Night Shyamalan has read this one?)  And I can vouch from
personal experience that couches do indeed behave in that manner.  And the
choice of composers in the epilogue (no spoilers here) is just wonderful.
Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

The other book, _The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul_, is lacking...

Cheers,
- jsproat

"Hello.  My name is Jeremy, and I'm a...a brick chewer."
  (in unison) "Hi, Jeremy."