 Off-Topic / Geek / 844
Re: Transit Time to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:39:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jason Cordes writes:
Oddly enough most of the technology being discussed here actually exists, even
though many of you would debate that fact.  I would like to share my thoughts
on this matter, as well as addressing the poster's original question here.

Flight Time to Mars:  I would estimate at 1G constant propulsion you should
reach there between 24 hours and 48 hours depending on when you start the
trip.  That seems like a short amount of time, but consider that once you get
there, you need to slow down to land.  Inertia has a nasty way of being like
that.

  By way of a purely information-gathering question, as opposed to some smart-
alec sniping, I ask the following:
  Using this 1G acceleration, rather than having some last minute braking once
you get to Mars, could you (or would you want to) start decelerating once
you're about halfway there?  Since I can't count to 21 without taking my
clothes off, I'll also ask how this deceleration would affect the projected 24-
48 hour travel time.
  Thanks for the info!

     Dave!