 Off-Topic / Geek / 782
Re: Transit Time to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:05:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Steve Bliss writes:
Basic physics word problem, which I thought of because of NASA's publicity • about
renewed Mars exploration, and putting people on Mars:

If a spaceship could accelerate at a constant rate of 1G, how long would it • take
to get safely to Mars?

Assume the distance to Mars is 36 million miles.

Show your work. ;)

I worked out an answer to this, but it was too low to believe.

if you thought THAT was amazing, try it to Pluto... or to Alpha Centauri!

RAH (1) did a science fact article on this, way before most of us were born.
It drives home how fast you can go if you can just keep accelerating. But
unless you can come up with a reactionless drive, you'll never carry enough
reaction mass to accelerate that much for that long.

1 - Robert A Heinlein, arguably the best (if somewhat inconsistent) SF author
ever. You either love him or hate him. Ignore his last 5 or so books when
evaluating him, though.

+Lar