 Off-Topic / Geek / 773
Re: Xmas virus? Or a hoax?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:15:58 GMT

Erin Windross <dwindross@pacificcoast.net> wrote:
SOme friends of my family sent this Virus warning....I doubt very musch that
it's real, but just to be on the safe side I'm going to post the message here.

Several hoax detection clues are:

1. It says "This is not a hoax."
2. It gives authoritative-sounding sources (IBM, CBS, the FBI, AOL,
   antivirus software makers) without giving references. Any real warning
   would give a pointer to a web page at somewhere with authority.
3. It says "E-MAIL THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN."

Hoax virus warnings are such a plague that, in the future when not sure,
it's better to _not_ post it. :)

There is also a hoax-virus search at
<URL:http://www.europe.datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm>.

Of course, if it's not there, it _still_ probably is a hoax if it looks like
one.

Subject: Christmas Virus

On December 25, you may get an e-mail named "lump of coal".  Do not open
it.
Inside is a deadly virus.

This is not a hoax.  It was reported on the CBS 2 news and confirmed
at Mcaffee antivirus site.  E-MAIL THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN.

GET THE WORD OUT!!!!!