 Off-Topic / Geek / 651
Re: Mini, Micro, Maxi, Macro, Kilo, etc. (was: Re: Pink spaceship)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:12:57 GMT

Great, now I´ll have to learn all of this ;-)

I didn´t know there was such defined standards for mini, micro and nanofigs.
But, well, times are changing....
But whats kibifig then?

--Tobias

<380a50fb.190663701@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.space, "Mike Poindexter" <lego@poindexter.cc> writes:
Mini is 1/1,000 and micro is 1/1,000,000.

Yes, Micro- is 10^-6, but Mini- is not necessarily 10^-3.  Mini- is any • size
less than 1.

Milli- is 10^-3.

Macro is 1,000 isn't it?

Macro is any size greater than 1 or greater than usual.  It *can* be 10^3,
but it isn't necessarily 10^3.  Macroeconomics, for example, isn't about
economics on the 1000x scale, nor is a macro-zoom lens a 1000x lens.

Kilo- is what equals 10^3...unless you're talking about Kilobytes, in which
case it means 2^10 instead of 10^3...unless you buy into this new "KKB"
nonsense kicking around[1], in which case a Kilobyte has been redefined to
10^3 bytes and a "Kibibyte" is now what a "Kilobyte" used to be, namely • 2^10
bytes.  :-p

[...]
Macrofig would then be better to describe large scale buildings.  As the • old
people and/or technic figs have been refered to as megafigs,

I've never heard the old LEGO people referred to as "megafigs," but I have
heard them referred to as "maxifigs."  Where did you hear/see "megafig"?
Mega- is 10^6, so a "megafig" would be a 1000000x fig.

what would be macrofig?

That reminds me of an old Marvel comic book called The Micronauts, in which
there was a Microverse and a Macroverse.  (We humans existed in the
Macroverse, IIRC.)

Anyway, while it's clear that "minifig" came about directly from TLG's name
Mini-Figure™, it's not clear how "maxifig" came about as a juxtoposition
from "minifig" (that is, as opposed to "macrofig").  It's possible that the
pre-existing feminine product terms "minipad" and "maxipad" may have had
some sort of influence.  (This is just speculation.)  AFAIK, there's no • such
thing as a "macropad."

--Todd

[1] http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

[followups to lugnet.off-topic.geek]