 Off-Topic / Geek / 598
Re: web surveys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 21:29:43 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Jeremy:
But yes. Generally people use Perl for CGI programs. If you
get it right the first time, and don't need to use the
program again a few months later it is probably also ok for
the job.

Perl also does well if you do need to use the program again later.  Why would
it be otherwise?

1.  Like me -- !@#$% MySQL is free on Linux but costs $$$ for Win32...
Makes it easy to choose your OS, doesn't it?

Someone selling a program for one platform but giving it away for free for
another platform is, in my opinion, rabid advocacy.  It only hurts the seller.

They're trying to punish me for using a "bad" OS.  What happens in practice,
however, is that I deny them the sale by using someone else's software.

I don't understand why they offer a GPL for all platforms but one.  Are they
trying to subsidise the cost of their Win32 compiler?  Do they feel that they
-- as an application developer -- can knock me off the OS I choose?  It seems
so...spiteful.

Cheers,
- jsproat

[f-ups set to .debate]
[MySQL Licensing cc'd]

Jeremy: "Hi, My name is Jeremy Sproat, and I'm a...Slashdot Lemming."
All:    "Hi, Jeremy."