 Off-Topic / Geek / 5212
MakerBeam: open source metal building kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:48:39 GMT

Hi!

Thought this project would be interesting to the LUGnet community, hope I’ve found the right subforum.

MakerBeam is a project to build an open source metal building kit, like a next-generation Erector Set or Meccano. Instead of the punctured-steel struts of those systems, MakerBeam will use 10x10mm extruded aluminum in a T-slot configuration. This is far stronger and more precise, and has a lot more applications.

The entire project is open source; all of the models will be released under Creative Commons licenses and the standard will be made publicly available. We’re getting a lot of enthusiasm from robotics enthusiasts, model builders, diy maker types, and people interested in the applications for desktop CNC.

We’re funding the project through Kickstarter, which lets us collect pledges towards our goal. If we reach it, and we’re 60% there, we’ll be able to manufacture and deliver Alpha and Beta kits to our contributors, and hopefully grow this project into kits, and more components, such as wheels, pulleys, hinges, cable stops, rail slides, and connectors of all sorts. No one is charged a thing if we don’t achieve our goal, so Kickstarter is a low-risk, community focused way to start something like this.

One of the first things I want to do, personally, is 3-d print some LEGO compatible strips to bolt to the sides of MakerBeam. It’d be easy enough to hack existing LEGO pieces also, as it’s just a few holes on the order of 2 to 3 mm.

Our Alpha kits are more than half gone, so consider pledging if you want to get some MakerBeam by Christmas! Hope I’m on topic and this is considered interesting, we want to reach people who would be enjoy this sort of project, and that includes model-makers of all stripes.

Look around the website, and if you like what you see, consider pledging. Thanks for reading!

Cheers, -Sam Putman -- makerbeam.com