 Off-Topic / Geek / 5017
Re: Working with Excel and XML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:14:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Walsh wrote:
Has anyone done any work with Excel and XML?  I want to save the contents of
an Excel worksheet (a simple table of rows and columns will column headers)
in XML format so I can use it as part of a web application.  The Excel XML
map process is confusing to say the least and the documentation is weak.

I use Excel to generate HTML tags all the time. But I'm not using the Excel XML
process myself, I am just using formulas to get the contents of tables into
tagged HTML

One thing that bites me somewhat regularly is the fact that Excel wants to put
"" around text fields when you copy the columns.

Doing it in Perl from a CSV like Dan suggests would certainly be easy but if you
don't know Perl yet, you'd have some work. I can share a sample spread that
generates HTML if it would be helpful.