 Off-Topic / Geek / 5014
Re: Falling thru earth revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:41:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Koudys wrote:
My idea is that basically the accelleration of an object going towards the
center due to gravity and the decelleration of an object from the center to the
other side basically cancels out, so we would just have to measure the
distance/time from the entry point to the exit and figure in the thrust of the
rocket across that distance and we'd have a pretty good idea of how fast it'l
lbe going.

Sounds right to me.  Acceleration adds linearly, so when you integrate to get
the velocity, you have the integral of the thrust plus the integral of the
gravitational acceleration.  Assuming that the change in mass of the rocket due
to depleted fuel is negligible, the gravitational portion will just be zero.
--Bram