 Off-Topic / Geek / 5003
Re: Going up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:22:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Now that’s what I call upward mobility.

That would be cool if it comes off.

Color me skeptical for now. Space Elevators are an idea that has been around since forever, and if you have the materials strength to do it, they offer the cheapest way per pound of any technology devised.

IF you have the materials (primarily tensile) strength. 50x (mild) steel isn’t enough according to some studies I seem to recall... this site suggests that nanotubes are within the right target tensile strength range though.

Me, I’m betting on SpaceX for conventional reusable heavy lift of earth only components and on Rutan to pull off a clever miracle for crew, and for lunar sourcing for serious construction mass.

But an elevator would be cool!