 Off-Topic / Geek / 4830 (-10)
  Re: Might this be very very cool?

(...) I agree. One note, this may be suited for parts.custom rather than just parts. Jason, who responded elsewhere in the thread has a fair bit of experience with .stl files for parts now, I think... XFUT parts.custom (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.parts.custom, FTX)

  Re: Might this be very very cool?

(...) It might work, depending on what you are willing to pay for parts. Also it's worth noting that someone with access to a cad program would have to help, converting .dat files to .stl can make ugly .stl files. I've had experience with (URL) this (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Might this be very very cool?

(...) That's funny. I just finished the very same article before coming over here to Lugnet. I was thinking the exact same thing. -Elroy (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Might this be very very cool?

I haven't run the prices yet, but could (URL) portend a source of original MOC parts? (URL) the website. It's a cool idea in any case. Dave! (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I guess I could see that. I'm not sure a true humanoid shape would be the optimal way to go, given how tall it'd have to be to accomodate a human pilot, but a walker of some sort could have the advantage of being able to claw its way around, (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) When I think of what happens when a hover tank fires, i remember a little scene from star wars a phantom menace, the entire tank kinda glides back from kickback and the barrel has telesoping action to help in the kick back (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I was thinking these would be more for clambering around and inside capital ships, not so much for zero-g combat as you imply. The suits would reach their targets in projectile pods (ala Heinlein) or use "point-n-shoot" thrusters attached (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) Navigation in space is hair-raising enough as it is. I shudder to think of how much more complicated this would become if you start needing to account for body stance when using thrusters. I could maybe see the idea of using humanoid (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I'd think it would have been more funny catching his reaction when he switched from smug dismissal of the unarmed opponents to realizing just how deep he'd stepped into it. It sounds about on par with the British forces who lost a fortified (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Tanks or Power Armor

(...) I know that police are already using various types of UGVs on the basis that it's a lot more pleasent to attempt to justify to the public why they should be willing to shell out the bucks for a really expensive glorified RC car to replace the (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact