 Off-Topic / Geek / 4763
Re: Legged Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:53:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   But the really fascinating part of the article is the discussion of the benefit of this type of locomotion over traditional robotic bipeds and wheels. Traditional robot-bipeds and wheeled robots are such that at any given moment they are fully stable. Organic movement (springy movement) is such that at any moment it is unstable - constantly falling from unstable position to another.

This means that Springy Motion, by being unstable at moments, creates greater overall stability. ..snip..

As a cyclist, I’ve known this for years, and I didn’t even have to play around with rocket powered roaches.

   Applying this to LEGO Robot and Bot construction, this means that Pedal robots are more realistic (given a future timeframe) than wheeled robots - or at least, they have the potential of being equally or even more efficient in their locomotive abilities.

I look forward to seeing the first springy legged Lego robot.

Cheers,

Allister