 Off-Topic / Geek / 4741
    Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....) —Don Heyse
   (...) I think the issue is the jet stream. It moves eastward somewhat faster than the ground, so going east you have a tailwind, and going west you have a headwind. Unfortunately for you, the mountains in PA aren't high enough for this to make you (...) (20 years ago, 13-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....) —Dave Schuler
   (...) I'll buy that, except that the original claim seemed to be that the rotation itself was the factor, not the jetstream. Admittedly, I may have misunderstood the framing of the problem: perhaps the question of east/west travel already assumed (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)