 Off-Topic / Geek / 4489
Re: Die, spam, die
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:52:03 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

The latest form of cockroach: the other day I used Google to find an etymology.
Google took me to a page in some online dictionary. Now I am getting spam, with
the word I looked up in the subject line. New meaning to the term "dictionary
attack". I have no idea whose dictionary I used (or how my real email got into
Safari.  Safari must die too.)

I continue to be surprised that people beleive it is possible for them
to avoid being spammed.  I don't mind that people contact me if they
have something interesting to say, so I have never tried to hide my
e-mail addresses.  When it started to become too annoying, I simply set
up a filter (first hand-crafted, later Bayesian) to handle the problem
at my end.

Having said that, I think I can guess how Erik's e-mail address got
picked up.  In the good old days, you had to use your e-mail address as
the password for anonymous FTP.  Nowadays (or at least around a year
ago) this is used in a trick to grab the e-mail addresses of web
surfers.  A web page simply refers to some in-line image located on an
anonymous FTP server and voila - they get a copy of the e-mail address.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Red Bird Mark II: