 Off-Topic / Geek / 4457
Re: Matrix Weapon Tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:07:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.space, Markham Carroll wrote:
You're not going to put the EMP on it, are you?  How would you use it
without kocking out your own hovership?

     The same way they used the Nebbie's without knocking that ship out (which
was a pretty impressive feat, considering how chewed the ship was by the time
they used it.  Since it's equipped with an EMP generator, one would assume it's
got some sort of shielding built in.  How that shielding managed to survive
having the ship opened like a sardine can is a mystery, but so is the fact that
the Sentinels don't seem to have any sort of shielding at all.

I don't think it's possible to shield against an EMP.  Any electronic or
magnetic memory would be erased during an EMP, unless entirely enclosed
completely in a superconductor (perhaps the hovership is designed to enclose
critical data before an EMP.  Sentinels would have no such warning).  However,
CDs, DVDs, and other optical storage would survive, so if the BIOS and operating
system was stored optically, and backups of operating programs are available on
CD or DVD, then it wouldn't be long to bring the ship back online.

I didn't see any CDs or DVDs, though.  The programs used to train Neo in martial
arts ("I know kung-fu."  "Show me.") are all on floppies.

This is based on physics as we know it, though.  It's possible the "real" world
in the movies is really another layer of the Matrix (thus explaining Neo's
strange ability at the end of "Reloaded").  Which means we can suspend some
rules of physics.

John