 Off-Topic / Geek / 4419
4418  |  4420
Subject:
CD-R System Backups for NTFS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:09:37 GMT

Hey:

Has anyone used a program of any kind that will make system backups to CD-R that has a better than 50% failue rate? Having a supposed set of backup disks is not enough, have you actually backed up from the disks you created?

I have tried most everything at this point: ghost (and it has worked for me “sometimes” but not always and not for cloning), drive image, backup now, etc. None seems to be the silver bullet for all systems. None seems to necessarily guarantee that you have a backup that will actually work. Certainly, there’s no way that a backup that fails to backup on the original system will work to clone another system (in the event of disaster).

I guess there’s always the old hard drive backup method (i.e. backing up to an identical drive), but isn’t there something better than this?

My systems are not so weird either -- common hardware equipment, cd writers from sony, samsung, mitsumi, hp (a dvd writer), etc.

In many cases, I can’t even get these software backup solutions to even burn a disk properly. It bombs the backup right there on the first disk, and if I am lucky it happens before it ruins the disk with actual burning.

It appears to me that most backup systems are more dream than reality -- and we keep buying a dream that doesn’t actually work. I’ve been at this a while now too: from the days of tape storage to Jaz and zip disks to the CD-R. I am underwhelmed to say the least.

Any solutions?

I think Larry asked this question the last time, and I bet he was just as frustrated. I think he was trying to clone to a laptop.

-- Hop-Frog