 Off-Topic / Geek / 4154
Re: Ozbricks.net is down AGAIN. Any ideas for web hosting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 03:13:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
Well, this was a special case.  A link page called Fark.com linked to the
Lord of the Rings pages on ozbricks, which pretty much crushed the server
into a pulp.  About 16,000 clicks, according to the fark.com page.  That, • my
friend, is the slashdot effect, and it can bring even the best amateur web
pages to their knees.

Adrian

And on that note feel free to put a
"We was all FARK-ed on xx/xxx/xx" and a deeplink
to this picture
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DaveG/Section-3/thumb/karfkarf.jpg_thumb.jpg
if only to mess with Drew's head. :)

HA!  Not much would probably mess with Drew's head though, i've seen him in many
different states of mind, and he was always pretty composed :)

   Heh.  Oralse kitty.  I personally use the .gif someone
   made of the kitty flying whenever I feel the need to link
   to a kitten.  Or else one of the "No Hands Kitten" parodies.
   All you have to do now is find a puppy and a Scala bun.

   Anyways, getting FARKed is kind of an honor.  We have a lot
   of names for it, depending on the website; slashdot, being
   the big one, is the name usually bandied about, but there
   are also getting ALoDed (SomethingAwful), MeFied (Metafilter),
   PoE'd (Portal of Evil), and many others.

   best

   LFB