 Off-Topic / Geek / 3969
Re: electronics question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 02:21:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:
I'm not an electrical engineer...

I'm trying to replace a noisy fan in a computer power supply.  The fan
in there is rated at 12v dc, 0.12(or something like that) amps.  The
replacement fan is 12v but 60mA.  Would the replacement fan work without
any problems?

thanks

Sure.  The voltage would have to match (which it does) so no worries there.
the current ought to be less to not cause any problems.  The old fan is
120mA (there's 1000 milliamps (mA) in an amp), so the new one draws half as
much power.  It may well be half as strong, or it may be more efficient.
Either way, it'll function without blowing up something in the supply.  It
may not, however, provide as much cooling.  If you can find a fan that would
match both current and voltage, it'd be better.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com