 Off-Topic / Geek / 3803
3802  |  3804
Subject:
Motherboard, CPU, Memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:11:47 GMT

Hey Y'all:

I am trying to help a friend with her computer woes and I think it may be
necessary for her to simply upgrade to a more robust system at this time
(she currently has one of those old Celeron all-in-one deals, the modem
seems to have died).  As I do the legwork to accomplish this seemingly small
task, I realize that I am WAY out of the hardware loop.  All I want is a
solid recommendation for a motherboard of ATX configuration (because I have
an available midsized case with 6 fans), CPU speed of about 1-1.5G, and
memory of about 256-512 MB.  But already I have entered into the madness of
competing socket formats, etc. and I don't want the latest and greatest
stuff.  No point in making my pal pay to be a beta-tester, right? Besides
which, she doesn't play games; and all she really does do is email and
author an Irish folk-harp newsletter (this includes a little Photoshop and
Publisher) -- but that's it.

Anyway, I don't need brand obsessed recommendations but I don't want to
purchase brands I've never heard of either -- Intel or AMD is fine.  133-266
Bus speed ram is probably fine too (is there faster?).  Recommendations of
whatever people are using and happy with is good too.

I use to keep up with this stuff just for drill, but most of the free mags
one could find easily sorta disappeared of late.  I did find one called
"ComputerUser", a mere shadow of it's former self: "Computer Currents". I
guess Microtimes went belly-up also -- Microtimes was the preferred free
mag. ::sigh::

Many thanks in advance,

-- Hop-Frog