 Off-Topic / Geek / 350
349  |  351
Subject:
Mac and NT networking (was: Re: Perl rules!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:14:24 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:10:05 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

I could have a user sit at any NT workstation on our network and login
to have access to a home directory located anywhere I want it, then
move to the other end of campus and do the same thing, bringing his
preferences, desktop, whatever along with him.

Can the Mac do that?  Nope.  Sad thing is, it could have, if Apple
hadn't dumped Copeland after lying to all it's acolytes about how it
was going to proceed with it.

From what I've heard, neither can NT, really. Especially since IE

Whoever pointed out Zenworks was right.  It's magic.  And the Mac can
too.  I'm not our primary Mac person anymore so I don't know all the
details but using MacIPX and Dave and maybe something else, they appear
just as another workstation on the network.  Our students mount their
Unix server space as a volume when log in on a Mac or on our Dell WinNT
workstations.  We still can't get some preferences to apply cross
platform though.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks