 Off-Topic / Geek / 3368
Re: PC Troubleshooting...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:02:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Brown writes:
Is this while running Checkit, or regardless of what the system is doing?
I'm not 100% clear on that.  And what do you mean by soft boot?  I'm
familiar with that term being a restart using software (i.e. cntrl-alt-del)
but I think you're meaning something else.

I meant hitting the reset button, which I've always heard of as a soft boot
because it doesn't cut the power.  Is it called something else?

Also, in "swapping all possible components" are you including different
combos of sysboard & processor?  If you've got access to the sysboard's
manual (on or off line) have you checked to make sure the various switch
settings are all OK and you aren't accidently overclocking?

Actually, I am pretty sure that it was the motherboard -- the part I was
most loathe to have to swap out again -- and that checkit said was okay (the
tests may not be that robust on this count).  And the first time I swapped
it out I was trusting in the hands of another person that they did not
confuse the boards with one another, since they are all four identical.  I
think the reason checkit wasn't catching whatever is wrong with the
motherboard is because the problem only occurred when it was prepared to
hang the system.  So now I may or may not have another fried board -- which
is a shame.  This may have everything to do with the fact that the boards
were not properly packed in anything more than a cardboard box all banging
together.  But hey, it's all free stuff to whereever it ends up.

I appreciate all the suggested advice and will refer to it again should the
need arise.

Many thanks,

Hop-Frog (scrappy and tenacious in the middle of the night)