 Off-Topic / Geek / 326
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:12:22 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 05:58:46 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:
Doesn't that assume that nothing else would have filled in the demand if
those two players hadn't been there?
What demand? Intel and MS _created_ much of todays' demand for
computing. They did this to make money.

Much as I would like to believe that sometimes IBM and MS are capable of
creating something (1), this is one thing they simply grabbed and ran with.
The *need* was already there; they simply told consumers that the *want* was
there, only a few years before it would have been.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Though this flies in the face of the overwhelming evidence to the
contrary.  Heh heh heh -- a cow-orker told me today, in a discussion on the
incredible depths of understanding IBM has of the market, that if IBM had
invented sushi, they would have called it "dead raw fish".

--
Jeremy H. Sproat <jsproat@io.com>
http://www.io.com/~jsproat