 Off-Topic / Geek / 3220
  Help with users and grps in unix...

Hi all, Is there a way to check which users are members of a grp? Also, can a member of a grp (not root) add other members to the grp? For example, I want to add "nobody" to "bldesign" so that my web scripts can have write access to a directory set (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help with users and grps in unix...

(...) to see who's in a group: grep "groupname" /etc/group to see what groups a user belongs to: id "user" to add users to a group, you have to be able to edit the /etc/group file - which (on any sane system), only root can do. sorry... (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help with users and grps in unix...

(...) Thanks, Dan! Will adding "nobody" to group "bldesign" make it possible for my php script to write to directories set at mod 775? I'd like to know for sure before I ask support if they'll do that for me. Thanks, --Bram (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help with users and grps in unix...

(...) (assuming that the directory is group owned by dlsesign) - yup, that'll work. just don't forget that _anyone_ that has cgi access on that server will be able to read/write to that directory... On a shared box, that may mean 100s of people. (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help with users and grps in unix...

(...) I guess I'll risk that. It's still safer than just using mod 777, right? Thanks for all the help, --Bram (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help with users and grps in unix...

(...) Actually, check out the 'gpasswd' command from the linux shadow-utils suite. This allows non-root users to be defined as group administrators, and these people can add and remove people from their groups. (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help with users and grps in unix...

(...) sure enough, that'll work - I never knew of that :) Of course, it's an suid proggie, so that's always something to be wary of, even when you can't avoid it... Thanks for the tip! (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)