 Off-Topic / Geek / 3217
Re: PHP help...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:34:49 GMT

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 09:13:47PM +0000, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
what you need to do is set either the owner or the group of the
directory to the webserver's user (nobody, www, apache, whatever).  Once
that is done, you can give permissions to the server to write to the
directory.
Does that help?

Yes it does!  Now how do run chgrp without telnet...

well, to do a chgrp, you need to have either root access, or be a member
of both groups (the current one and the new one).  What you can do
(assuming you can chmod, and that you have cgi access), is chmod a
directory to world writable, and write a cgi that will create a
subdirectory in there...  the subdirectory will be created by the web
server, so it'll be owned by/grouped to the webserver...  then you can
chmod the parent directory back to "safe" permissions (755), and the
webserver can still write to it's subdirectory :)

does that help?  was I rambling?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com