 Off-Topic / Geek / 3193
Re: Looking to buy a gaming rig - any thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:07:57 GMT

I ruled out the major mail order houses right off since you pretty much • get
what they have to offer with nothing but minor changes, and what they • offer
is usually not geared specifically towards gamers.

Yep. They'll give you so many unneccesary software as well. "Why yes I
would love Quicken, is that a Quake mod?"

So I looked first to Falcon Northwest (http://www.falcon-nw.com), a
long-time gaming computer maker.  While I'd love to have one of their
systems, I can't quite justify the premium they tack on just for it being
from them.  It seems like I can get the same equipment from either of my
other two choices for hundreds or more less.  There is no denying they • have
the longest and possibly most distinguished history, but parts are parts,
and while I am willing to pay more to have someone else deal with putting
them together and making sure they work, it isn't worth $1,000 or more to
me.

I looked at them as well, and I agree that they were too expensive.

Second I looked at Alienware (http://www.alienware.com).  Good machines, • and
what I was planning on going with until a few days ago.  Good parts, good
reviews, decent price.

Here ya go. This is where I decided to order from and I was very happy.
Heres my comp's rough stats and price:

1.3 Athelon
256 Ram
GeForce 2 Ultra 64mb
SB live
60 gig HD
dvd rom
cooling unit for 3d card
modem
nic
No monitor

Thats most of it. In march this machine was $1800 or so. I went to
Tigerdirect.com to see how much, component for component I would save if I
purchased all parts seperately and built this myself. I recall it was only
around $200 to $250. I was very impressed.
This is a great company.

The price of my processor actually dropped while they were building my
machine.  When I called and mentioned it they had no problem with honoring
the new price. My friend had a similar machine built and he found 2 price
drops on his machine. Same story.

All drivers are ready to go. There is no extra "fluff" software that you
need to remove.
It came with Windows ME which I know some people will dislike but I have had
zero problems with this OS and machine. I believe it has only crashed
(mildly) once since april.

You willl notice that the machine is fairly loud in the fan department but I
stopped hearing it after 3 days and the fans keep it nice and cool.

As for performance I can play Quake 1, 2 , 3, (with excellent frame rates)
render up a reasonably sized Pov scene, and watch a DVD---- at the same
time. : )

Oh and I got mine in orange. : )

-Jon