 Off-Topic / Geek / 3180 (-5)
  Evolution of Earth and moon (was: Couldn't resist)

(...) Actually, you have this backwards. The friction of Earth's oceans against its solid parts is slowing the Earth's rotation down. This translates into a loss of angular momentum for the Earth. But angular momentum must be conserved. The angular (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Whoa, that's something I never thought of before! It kind of raises an interesting idea, too. If this is always a trend for the satellite (i.e., "moon") of any planet with large amounts of liquid on the surface, then maybe over time there is a (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I think that unless we can find a specific point at which Shiri is not a man, then we cannot demonstrate conclusively that she is a woman. Either Shiri occupies a spectrum of man-ness and woman-ness with no distinction, or a distinction (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I assure you, my boy, Shiri *is* a woman. I should know. ;-) <snipped the forecast> (...) Math is confoozing. In my mind. :-) -Chris (23 years ago, 6-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) The reason I asked was because the way that you read can influence how you reply. With the web interface, following a thread is easy. With mail it's still easy, but not quite so easy. With a newsreader, I unfortunately don't have any (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact