 Off-Topic / Geek / 3160 (-10)
  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Actually, when calculating the acceleration and taking the distance into account, it's not so bad. For my first attempt at solving this, I tried converting gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy. The resulting integral was (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Umm... It's not a poke. honest. Your value for the Earth-moon distance is off by a factor of ten. which means your answer should be 2.25ish days. And... The force of the moon's gravity doesn't really enter into this. We know Force = (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Calculus, yet another form of mathematics that I am unable to do in my life. Jesse Long (23 years ago, 3-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Then it should be 2:26. Assuming that the relative acceleration between the Earth and the Moon is the sum of their local accelerations due to gravity. And assuming that acceleration is directly proportional to the force of gravity. Ie, when (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) That'd be dy/dx = 2x. (I knew that calculus'd come in handy one day!) ROSCO (23 years ago, 3-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I get 1 hour, 13 minutes. Or 2 hours, 26 minutes. If I could remember the derivitive of y = x^2, I'd be more precise. Steve (23 years ago, 2-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I have two questions to ask now because of the replies to this bulletin board message I sent in response to many other messages on the Lugnet Space bulletin board room. The first question is for Kyle D. Jackson and Jeff Jardine and it is if we (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I understand now in my mind that atoms are what makes the structure of all living organisms and the structure of all living organisms depends on the density and class of materials in the constructuion of space craft. It is obbvious to me that (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I never spotted this before, but it's further proof that there's negligible friction in space. If there was, the Moon would have slowed down in it's orbit and fallen to Earth, and the Earth would slow down and fall into the sun. Actually, I (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I didn't necessarily mean in space. I was just talking about liquids in general (on Earth, in an atmosphere). Clearly if you're trying to push your way through something, a gas is easier than a liquid, which is easier than a solid. But, this (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact