 Off-Topic / Geek / 3069
3068  |  3070
Subject:
PostScript/EPS (was Re: Scans of My Own Train Stickers Wanted)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 04:34:39 GMT

Hey Off-Topic Geeks! (esp. Larry, since he asked!)

I was going to highlight some of the cool stuff about the format, but the
doc below pretty much covers it all.

Most important to me is overall workflow (and I have put myself into a
complete PS workflow). PostScript output devices produce perfect results
EVERY time...especially if you have taken the time to work with EPS image
files and Type 3 fonts before you create your final layouts. EPS is
lossless...it is pure binary data. BMP (like TIFF, JPEG, PICT) is
reinterpreted in the colorspace of the machine/device/software being used to
view it. The embedded info more relates to color management (I'm in a
ColorSync workspace on Mac...though you COULD specify Pantone process/spot
colors if you used Pantone's color management system), fonts, and document
settings, so you get greater control over final output. That's why most
printers and service bureaus require native files with embedded or linked
EPS parts, or that you rip PS (.prn for you Windows types) files before they
output film or plates (that way all fonts, images, etc. are embedded in a
final file ready to print...no funky output surprises!)

Excerpts from: http://www.adobe.com:80/support/salesdocs/2336.htm

The Benefits of PostScript

PostScript is a general purpose computer language developed by Adobe
Systems, Incorporated. PostScript is most commonly used for supplying page
description information to an output device. The versatility of the
PostScript language can describe all the elements that a document contains,
including text, graphics, and scanned images. Introduced in 1985, PostScript
has become the international standard for electronic printing and is the
most powerful page description language available today.

PostScript is the basis for the ISO (International Standards Organizations)
standard page description language, as well as the industry standard.
PostScript offers benefits that no other page description language can, and
is independent of the hardware on which it resides. Benefits include:

- Device Independence
PostScript is independent of the output device. The PostScript language used
in the various printers, rips, and DPS machines is the same. In other words,
PostScript is PostScript.

- Resolution Independence
A PostScript file that creates a one inch square box on a 300 dpi printer
will create the same one inch square box on a 3500 dpi imagesetter, the only
difference being the amount of device pixels.

- Color Independence
All color PostScript devices can produce the same colors. If your document
contains objects specified at 80% cyan, you will get the same 80% cyan
results on all color PostScript devices.

- Network Independence
You can print to PostScript printers using any network or communications
protocol, including Ethernet and AppleTalk.

- Fast Printing Speed
PostScript is one of the most powerful computer languages in existence. It
can drive printers with pages per minute ratings from 4 to 135.

If you need any more info, just ask!

Matt

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains, Matthew Gerber writes:
File Issues:
• EPS is the best file format to use for everything, since extra data about
the file (especially advanced color info) is stored right within the file.
TIFF (and the lesser formats) are re-interpreted every time they are opened,
differently depending on which program they are opened with, and will be
slightly different each time. The only caveat to this is that most home
ink-jet printers will not print EPS files (which are handled by PostScript
printers) and then TIFF is the best option (unless printing our of
Illustrator to an ink-jet, where Illustrator handles the file raster in
software and delivers a good print regardless).

Why is EPS a good choice for images? I thought it was a bit chatty?

I had always assumed that BMP was the best format if image size was no
object because it's lossless (although bloated sizewise). But it just uses
256 (or 16M or whatever) colors. Are you saying that EPS has pantone
encoding of the colors? That would be cool. Is it lossy or lossless image
compression?

Of course Lego sticker colors are presumably not as hard to reproduce
correctly as some things (bright primary fully saturated colors and sharp
edge definitions ought to make things easy, right?).

Note that this reply, being in .geek is focused(1) only on the image stuff.

1 - if you'll excuse the expression

++Lar