 Off-Topic / Geek / 3052
Re: IR Tower Use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 22:01:05 GMT

Peter Newman <peternewman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
I know this may be a bit off topic, but didn't know where else to post,
I own an IR tower and remote control, and was wondering if it is possible to
use the IR tower for other things. eg using PC + tower to control stereo/TV,
or using IR remote to control PC like mouse.

You can't really do what you are trying to do.  The tower is designed to
operate in request-reply mode.  It sends a request, waits a few seconds,
receives a reply during that time, then turns off.  The idle state of the
tower is off, and therefore it will not be powered up to receive your
commands.  You can send something once a second or so to keep the tower
alive, but then you will kill your battery pretty quickly.  If you really
want to do this, you could probably get something to work reasonably if you
were to make a modification to your tower to give it A/C power.

-Kekoa