 Off-Topic / Geek / 2834
2833  |  2835
Subject:
Off Topic Dell Gripe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:05:09 GMT

Back in June I purchased a computer from Dell.  Nothing fancy, just
something on which to do wordprocessing, net applications, and maybe some
graphics software.  Everything works fine, but I'm on a payment plan at a
hideous interest rate, so I'm interested in paying down their loan to me ASAP.
  This morning I called Dell to try and find out my remaining balance, and I
spent over 15 minutes negotiating a series of voice menus (I'm not
exaggerating--I have a call-timer on my phone).  After that, I finally got
through to a person only by selecting the "repairs and service" option,
knowing that I would have to be transferred, since I was in the wrong
department.  From there, I was bounced to a voice response system that
advised me that "due to heavy call volume, you may wait approximately 33
minutes to speak with a service representative."  All this to find out my
account balance?  Absurd!
  I have an unfortunate number of credit cards, and I can check all of their
balances over the phone via automated system.  I have a car loan, and I can
check this by phone.  I can even check my gas bill by phone, for pity's
sake.  Why is it that Dell can't offer this same simple and low-maintenance
form of customer service?
  By the way, in my previous position I was chained to a phone (to provide
excellent customer service, of course) and we were *ahem* encouraged to keep
delay times under 15 seconds.  Quite a difference from 48 minutes, I should
think.  Perhaps Dell should rehire some of their layoffs and put them on the
phones.
  Thanks for listening. End of rant.

     Dave!