 Off-Topic / Geek / 283
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 06:08:33 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
My current experience with UNIX is limited to IBM's AIX, but I find it
infinitely more painful to use than Windows for some of the following

Well, I think you're not going to find much love for AIX anywhere.

Case sensitivity. Sorry, I see no legitimate reason for Xyzzy, xyzZy, and
xyZzy being different names. It's even worse in passwords.

Oh my. I personally like the ability to at least have case retained, but can
go either way on whether opening a file is case sensitive. But passwords
sure as hell should be case sensitive -- if they're not, you're severely
chopping the namespace, making it a lot easier to brute force passwords.

Oh, since I mentioned it, configuration. Sometimes DOS/Windows is obtuse,
but man, the number of options UNIX presents are a serious barrier to
getting started, and because so much is configurable, everyone has their own

Sure, there's a learning curve. And sysadmins need to document what they do
(and companies need to standardize the way things are done).

And the strong advantage of the Unix way of doing this is: when something
breaks, you can find what it was. When you want to configure something
such-and-such a way, you probably can.

Another minor one. I like my IntelliMouse. I don't know if any thing like

Works with Linux.

I'm also amused that my new "high powered" RS/6000 has wimpier video than my
PC had several years ago, and in fact, as far as I can tell, you still can't

Again, that's not a Unix issue, that's IBM. Check out SGI's stuff.

Oh, and on the X Window System -- yes, it has its flaws, but it has (at
least) two great strengths:

1. It's a network protocol. I can seamlessly run apps locally on my Linux
    box right next to programs running on the O2 sitting behind me, along
    with windows running on the Origin 2000 supercomputer upstairs. This
    isn't just text-based stuff. (I like to run Netscape offa the 113th most
    powerful computer in the world..... *grin*)

2. The user-interface stuff is abstracted and detatched. It's easy to
    switch window managers, giving a totally different look and feel. This
    not only allows for extensive customization, but also makes it simpler
    to make improvements: look at KDE and Gnome, for example. They're
    radical changes, but don't require any change to the underlying system.