 Off-Topic / Geek / 2800
Re: Can't Gert Apache to work, arhhh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:06:32 GMT

Jamie:

I've created the user directories, mad(e) simple html files, changed
permissions to 755, but i still get no access, i get the 403 Access
forbidden i don't have permission.

Have you remembered to make the whole path of directories up to the
user directories world-executable?

Assuming Apache is running as nobody the following is a useful test:

su -
su - nobody
cd /
cd home
cd some_user
cd public_html

If you at some point get a "permission denied" message, when changing
directories, you have found the problem.

I have the public_html folders in each of the users home accounts. The
DocumentRoot currently points to a folder in the
/usr/local/apache/htdocs. Anything in DocumentRoot comes up fine, it's
only the user stuff i can't get. (BTW I think i should move
DocumentRoot to a more secure location, would that beright?)

I prefer to keep the document root as
   /home/(apache|www|httpd)/www.domain.org/
or sometimes even
   /home/(apache|www|httpd)/www.domain.org/docs/
(then I can keep the CGI programs in ...org/cgi/)

Play well,

Jacob
--
No .sig.