 Off-Topic / Geek / 2762
Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:41:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.trains, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I feel very strongly that:

Effectiveness is not the same as Quality.
Popularity does not equal Elegance.

And the Studebaker company isn't selling a lot of cars these days even
though the Gullwing was an elegant, high quality machine. So was the Avanti.

I thought The LEGO Company believed that "Only the Best is Good Enough."

Evidently, they changed their minds...

In the area of web sites they have... and *thank goodness* for that. (1)

The technology is a moving target and if they'd waited to do a website till
they had it best/perfect, we'd still be waiting, since you *can't* keep up
with the latest.

Internet time means get something OKish out there and iterate, iterate,
iterate. Iterate or perish. But first, get out there.

Even LUGNet, which has lost first mover advantage in a lot of areas that
were in the LUGNet Plan by waiting, seems not to have waited to get
*everything* right before doing it.

Todd points out that they have had some iterations already to get it right.
True. But holding the 1996 and 1998 iterations against LD seems unfair.
Especially when said by someone that only wants to measure Steve Jobs
against what has happened lately. LD wasn't even there in 1998, much less 1996.

(I hated my Ford Pinto. But I don't hold that against the current Ford
product line, which is pretty good, overall...)

If you want to measure LD webspace progress, measure lego.new (the internal
code name for the new lego.com), which came out in October, against what was
there before, and measure how it's changed even since it came out. It has, a
lot. Even when you factor high season (which is when you do NOT make changes
if you have any sense). And especially when you factor in things marked for
change already.

As for appreciating fine wine, the target market for lego.com doesn't drink
a lot of wine. :-)

Seriously, an 8 year old wants different things from a website than I do.
*MY* 8 year old LOVES lego.com and is very sticky there. So do all his
friends. He can't wait to see what's next in the bionicle saga. We make a
lot about how we AFOLs are kids at heart. True, we are, but not when it
comes to websites. We have compartmentalised expectations, which is good.
But remember the target market.

In fact, before you post in lego.direct, repeat it as a mantra. Remember the
target market. You're not all of it.

1 - It is true in the area of bulk, as well. And thank goodness for that. I
didn't want to wait for the "perfect assortment". Each iteration gets better
than the last.

++Lar