 Off-Topic / Geek / 2657
Re: Oracle Weirdness?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:18:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
My wife works for the shipping department of a local company, and recently the
company as a whole switched to Oracle as a software platform.  I don't know
anything about Oracle, but my wife tells me that now, instead of the 6-digit
account number she used to enter for each department's cost code, Oracle
requires a 41-digit number!  Can anyone verify this?  That seems absurd to me,
since a credit card is held to be adequately secure with just 14 digits, and
bank accounts often have less than that.  Is this 41-digit thing a choice by
someone higher up in her company, or is it a function of Oracle itself?

    Dave!

Would have to hear more about what exactly they switched to in order to
answer... the ORACLE(tm) DB doesn't impose any particular requirements (it's
a tool, not a solution).

But ORACLE has solution products as well, such as ORACLE Financials, for
example. Is THAT what they switched to? OF is a package solution that has
been designed to work at a number of different companies of varying sizes...
so may well seem overly redundant in data entry and field sizes, etc.

++Lar