 Off-Topic / Geek / 2528
2527  |  2529
Subject:
Voting algorithm?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 05:53:40 GMT

I have a Web site with about 1400 of my plant photos.  I recently added
a voting mechanism to help me order images of the same plant by quality
and to help me figure out which need to be replaced.

The problem that I'm seeing is that people aren't voting consistently.
In some cases an image will garner a vote of 5 out of 5, but someone
else will give the same image a 1 out of 1.

LUGNET gets around this by displaying all votes as a stem and leaf graph,
but I'm trying to figure out how to order images based on their ratings.
Has anyone else done this?  I think I need to go with the median or mode
instead of the mean, but I'm wondering if anyone has any real-world
experiences (positive or negative) to share about this.

Thanks,

Chris