 Off-Topic / Geek / 2493
2492  |  2494
Subject:
Windows and new hard drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:13:04 GMT

Installing a new drive with Linux is easy.  You just physically plug
the drive in and boot up.  Then you can issue three commands and
you're all set.

Under Windows 95 it is much harder.  I originally tried to partition
and format the drive with Linux.  I made a couple of small (1GB) FAT16
test partitions at the beginning of the drive and booted up Windows to
see if it recognized them.  I couldn't find the new drive when I had
started up Windows.  The only difference was that the second partition
on my old hard drive, formerly at D: had changed name to E:.  At the
same time, my SCSI CD ROM had changed from E: to D:.

So I realized that I probably had to partition the drive under DOS to
make Windows detect it.  First I removed the partitions I made with
Linux and booted up Windows to see that E: and D: changed back to
where they were before, checking that I was at status quo.

After using FDISK and FORMAT under DOS, I could access the partitions
under Windows 95, but my SCSI CD ROM, formerly at E: (and then at D:
for a short while) had disappeared completely.  And trying to run the
"detect new hardware" in the control panel did not find it.  There is
nothing in AUTOEXEC.BAT et al that defines it, so this is not where
the error is.  Trying to look up the CD ROM driver under "control
panel/system" says that it is "functioning perfectly", and the same
goes for the SCSI card.

So now I am stuck with a new drive, but no CD ROM access under
Windows.  Do anybody have any idea how to retrieve it?

My Windows 95 version B supports FAT32.  I could make partitions as
large as I wanted and format them using FDISK and FORMAT.  But any
partition over 16GB would trigger scandisk when starting Windows, and
generally not work no matter how many times I tried to reformat them
using FORMAT or the Windows Explorer.  So I ended up with all the DOS
partitions below 16GB, which is just fine with me, really.

After I let FDISK partition some of the hard drive under DOS, I used
Linux to partition the rest to my liking, and it works nicely under
both Windows and Linux.  So at least I can still use my system with
the new drive, albeit with no CD ROM as long as I'm running Windows.

Fredrik